One of the most common types of injuries we help people to claim compensation for are those resulting from trips or slips. While these accidents can occur in a huge variety of circumstances, as long as the trip or slip was due to the negligence of someone else, then you will probably be able to claim compensation for your injuries.

Claim Now

We will get in touch with you.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

  • Some of the most common types of trip and slip injuries we help with, are slips on spillages in supermarkets, trips over defective surfaces on public pavements, slips on spilt drinks in bars and clubs, trips over poorly laid carpet or unsafe rugs in residential homes and falls down slippery or otherwise badly designed staircases.
  • The minimum amount of compensation for pain and suffering is £1000 but this will increase depending on the severity of your injuries and the amount of medical evidence that can be provided to support your claim.
  • We will discuss with you, in confidence, the accident circumstances and the injury that you have sustained. We will then arrange a time for a solicitor to contact you at your convenience.

Claiming for Accidents in Shops and other Premises

If you have injured yourself as a result of a trip or slip in a retail store, supermarket, bar, restaurant or any other premises that you were visiting, then there is a high chance that you can claim compensation for your injuries. Generally speaking, the owner or operator of the premises owes a duty of care to all who enter, and should ensure that the premises is free from safety hazards, including those you can trip or slip on.

The staff also have a legal requirement to record all accidents that happen on their premises in an accident book, which provides strong evidence of the circumstances of the accident. When you do have a trip or slip, even if your first instinct is to quickly pick yourself up and try to pretend nothing happened, be sure to report the accident to a member of staff in case you need this evidence in the future.

Claiming Against the Council

If you injured yourself tripping on a defect in a public pavement or road, this is usually a result of the local council failing to maintain the area to the minimum standard.

In these cases you are well within your rights to claim compensation from the council for your injuries.

There are a few requirements that must be fulfilled in order to make such a claim; you have to be able to show that the defect is serious and has been there for a long time.

The seriousness of the defect is determined by its height or depth (depending on whether the surface is raised or lowered) and the type of surface it occupies. For a defect in the pavement to require fixing by the council it has to be at least an inch high or deep.

If you have tripped over a defect the best thing to do is to take a photo of the defect with a ruler in the frame, clearly showing the height or depth. In addition to proving the defect was serious, you also need to show that it has been there for a long period of time. For defects in the pavement to be classified as negligent they have to have existed for at least 6 months. The easiest way to prove the defect has existed for a long period of time is to approach a local resident and ask them about it: if they confirm it has been there for the required period then they can be used as a witness for your claim.

Call 0800 180 4001 to speak to our advisers.
We are available 24/7.